Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Six Months With Eden Hope

Wow! I can't believe we have been Eden's parents for a little over 6 months now. The official anniversary was Jan. 23rd so I'm a little late with this post. I've been mulling over how to communicate what it's like to look back over the past 6 months, or really the past 2 1/2 years and see what God has done. There honestly are no words. The only thing I can say, as tears are literally streaming down my face, is this precious baby is worth every second, day, week, month and year we waited. Do you hear me mommies who are waiting to adopt? I PROMISE it's worth it. Hang in there. During the 20 months we waited, I said to myself so many times, "Hang on, Keri. Once you meet your daughter there will never be a day that you will look at her and think this hardship wasn't worth it." Boy were those thoughts and words straight from God's mouth to my ear.

I can't remember life without her. What did I do all day? What made me laugh? I literally laugh all day long with her here. She is such a delight...that's what her name means in the Hebrew...delightful, paradise. That describes her perfectly.

Being a mommy certainly brings headaches and hassles...but it is so minor compared to the joy and fulfillment so I don't even want to focus on that temporary stuff.

I guess one of the most profound changes in me has been the humility God has worked in my heart. This baby started out so sad and broken with us. Every day I wake up since July 23, 2007, God heals her in some small way...and we get to be His healing touch in her life. He has used us to make her well. This humbles me beyond words because I know it's not me, but Him working through me in her life. I remember the first time she hugged me. I mean really hugged me out of love. I remember the first time she called me "Mommy." No one else gets called that, even though she called me and many other females "mama." I remember the first time she cried when I left, showing that she cares. I remember the first day without any grief tantrums. So many small miracles. So much healing. So much grace and mercy.

I'm going to end this post with photos that kind of sum up our journey to Eden. There are a lot of photos so make sure you get them all because they might go on to the next page. The last one will be a January 2008 photo. Hope you enjoy celebrating and remembering all God has done! Love you all!

Our first photo of Eden received December 2006. She was 8 months old in this photo.

Our second photo, received January 2007. Eden was 13 months old.

Daddy assembling the crib in May 2007.

Daddy putting the curtains up that Sandra Watkins made for Eden's room.

Daddy putting the bookshelf together. I promise I worked, too. I painted the walls and furniture but Gene wasn't there to take photos!

May 2007...the nursery is ready. We're just waiting, waiting, waiting for that LOA and Travel Approval!

We received this photo on June 13, 2007...2 days before we flew to China. Eden was 18 months old in this photo.

Preparing to board the plane in Birmingham, AL on June 15, 2007.

Sightseeing in Beijing. We are about to climb the Great Wall. This is about 5 days before we met Eden.

Filling out our paperwork in Wuhan (Eden's city) the day before we met her.

I call this photo "Eden Eve." I laid all the toys out the night before "Gotcha Day" and I cried the whole time.

8:00 a.m. July 23, 2007. Gotcha Day...preparing to head to the Civil Affairs Office to pick Eden up.

This is Eden sitting with the nanny before we were able to get her. Notice that she's looking at the photo Gene and I sent her in a care package in February 2007.

First family photo...before the crying began.

This is my favorite photo from China. When Eden started crying, my heart broke into a million pieces for her and I began to cry, too. I pray I never have to watch her grieve that deeply again.

Eden is still crying on the bus ride back to the hotel. All the parents started singing "Jesus Loves the Little Children" to try and calm our little ones.

Eden finally fell asleep on Gotcha Day after crying for a couple of hours. She wore herself out.

This is where Eden lived before she went into foster care. We said goodbye to the orphanage for the last time.

This is the view out of the orphanage window. According to the orphanage director, Eden likely lived in one of these buildings, as the foster parents live very close to the orphanage.

Arriving home in Birmingham, August 1, 2007.

Our friends made a sign to welcome us home.

This is Eden meeting our social worker at Lifeline, Karla, for the first time. I can't imagine what it's like for her to see all these babies come home!

Eden playing in her room for the first time the day we got home with her new friend, Alex DeVane.

August 2007, first month home.

September 2007, second month home.

October 2007, third month home.

November 2007, fourth month home.

December 2007, fifth month home.

January 2008, sixth month home.

3 comments:

Buffi Young said...

OK...that is just precious!! I love the way you communicate. See all the pics of China brings back beautiful memories!!! Miss you guys and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!! I LOVE Edens January pic!! It is adorable!! :)
Love ya,
Buffi

The Ferrill's said...

How beautiful. I forgot about us singing on the bus from the civil affairs office. What a sweet memory. Keri this is such a precious summary of her past six months. The pictures, the words, everything is so precious. I just can't wait to see yall!
Love,
Laine

Amanda said...

Keri,
You are such a terrific mom and person! It's been such a joy to see how you've grown through this process! I pray that I am half as good a mom as you! You truly inspire me! I love you!
~Amanda