Thursday, February 7, 2008

Moo Moo Here?

"Eden had a birthday party... E-I-E-I-O! And at this party she had some cake... E-I-E-I-O!" Eden celebrated her 2nd birthday with her friends here in Birmingham on Jan. 26th. We waited until the holiday rush was over even though she turned 2 on Dec. 27th. I'm so glad we waited. She had so much fun!

We did an E-I-E-I-O theme since she LOVES the "Old McDonald" song. We had it here at home and invited many of our close friends and their children, and many friends who don't have children yet. These were the people who I say "prayed" Eden home from China. They love her so much and have been a constant source of encouragement to us throughout this journey. We love them dearly!

I made a cow cake and it turned out really cute! My mom brought puppets that she had made several years ago and I found a CD with "Old McDonald" on it. I recruited some "sports" from the adults, threw a sheet over our banister, and presto...a homemade puppet show. It scared Eden and one of her friends a little bit but overall it was a hit. We adults maybe liked it more than the kids did.

We let the kids play, then we ate pizza, opened presents and did cake. We had asked everyone to bring a small donation of blankets, clothes, etc. for Eden's old orphanage in Wuhan. And, everyone chipped in $5 to help with shipping costs. We ended up with more than a lawn-sized bag of items for the children at the orphanage. I can't wait to send it with updated photos of Eden. Thanks to EVERYONE who gave to these precious babies.

As Gene and I were talking about her party I remembered the photo we got of her last January. She was wearing a really nice, heavy orange Winnie the Pooh winter coat. I remember thinking, "Wow, what a nice coat...just like something I would buy her." I'm sure it was given to the orphanage. People gave to help care for her before we could do it ourselves, so we want to do the same for other children. We had asked everyone to bring a donation instead of a gift for Eden. But, everyone wanted to get her something, too. Such kind friends we have.

Here are some of my favorite photos of the party!


Eden's Birthday Outfit. It has a cupcake with 2 "puffs" on it. Of course, her Ja-Ja (my mom) gave it to her! She even has 2 pigtails!

Eden took the "farm" theme to a new level with her red hat she wears when she plays on her rocking horse!

Do you notice how the "kitchen" is full of boys? Why can't that happen in real life? I think some of the dads might have been a little bothered by how much their boys loved Eden's pink kitchen.

So do you think she had fun?

The E-I-E-I-O puppet show.

Eden and her friends eating pizza.

Eden is ready to blow out her candles.

The cow cake.

I'll never get tired of that smile.

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream. Eden LOVES it!

Opening gifts. She got books, bath toys, a robe, a microwave for her kitchen, & 2 Noah's Ark sets.

Eden laughed so hard playing with her "Uncle Daniel" with her new microwave oven. He was acting like the chicken was really hot and burning his hands and she was cracking up!

The donations for the orphanage in Wuhan, China.


4 comments:

Amanda said...

the picture of Eden cracking up is hilarious! That's one of those "high school senior yearbook photos."yzjuzhl

Buffi Young said...

What an amazing birthday party!!! She looks SO happy!! I LOVE the picture of her walking down the hallway with her hands in the air. You did fantastic on the cake too!! I've only made 1 of my kids birthday cakes. I'm just not too good at kitchen stuff. Wish I was. Maybe it's something I can work on. that's great you're sending updated pics to the orphanage...I didn't even think about doing that. you can send them via email. The orphanage email is in the front of the photo album that they gave us. Can't wait to see you guys soon!!!
Buffi

The Ferrill's said...

Keri, first Elmo, now the cow? My goodness, you will save a lot of money on her wedding cake when you do that yourself! ;) You rock!
I LOVE the idea of bringing gifts for the orphanage...can I steal that idea? I wish I had thought of that for Quan's back in November, but I'm afraid I was still trying to remember my name at that point!
Can't wait to squeeze ya and Eden at the reunion. I'll try not to scare her, though. I can be REALLY intimidating when I get into my "excited baby" mode! ;)

Sonya said...

Looks like a WONDERFUL party!!! LOVE that cute outfit!!

Sonya

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EDEN!!!