Saturday, August 8, 2009

Home From South Africa...A Sneak Peak

I've missed you, my bloggy friends! What an incredible 2 weeks! I arrived home early Monday morning...sorry I'm just now posting. Between jet-lag and soaking in time with my beloved little, blogging took the back burner....but I'm so excited to share with you what I saw and learned in Africa.

To be honest, I don't think I've yet processed it all. I really had to "turn off" my emotions throughout the week working there so that I could function...what we saw was so hard. Just to give you an idea, the first night we were there, one of the missionaries was preparing us for the communities we would be working in. She said, mid-sentence, 90% of the girls you will see age 3 and up have been raped...90%...

That was night 1, so you can imagine. The way our trip turned out, we were working alongside South Africans who lived in the squatter camps where we were working. Therefore, we couldn't really react to the poverty, neglect, sickness, oppression, etc. that we saw because we didn't want to offend those who lived in the midst of it. That was their normal, their home. So, I kind of just stuffed down my emotions all week. Now, I must let it all surface so I don't forget, or become numb. I need to weep, as I'm sure Christ does, for His people.

So, because it's so much, I'm going to be posting a picture and a story each day on the blog so I can share with you, and process for myself. Today, you will just get a sneak-peak. Here are a couple of photos. I am going to end this post with a devotion from a Charles Spurgeon book I have. It perfectly describes what I think God sent me to South Africa to learn...or remember. Hope you enjoy...and check back for more!


This photo had to be first. These are my African sisters, Elizabeth (left) and Elyse. They were part of the home care team we partnered with and I spent the week walking the dirt roads with these amazing women. More details on them to come.

Stickers on the forehead is universal, by the way. These beauties kept yelling "shoot!" at me...that meant "take our photo!"

The South African sunset. This picture doesn't even begin to show the majesty of the African sky. You have to go and see for yourself!

From Charles H. Spurgeon's Morning and Evening
"Fix our eyes on Jesus." - Hebrews 12:2

It is ever the Holy Spirit's work to turn our eyes away from self to Jesus; but Satan's work is just the opposite of this, for he is constantly trying to make us regard ourselves instead of Christ. He insinuates, "Your sins are too great for pardon; you have no faith; you don't repent enough; you will never be able to continue to the end; you don't have the joy of His children; you have such a wavering hold of Jesus." All these are thoughts about self, and we shall never find comfort or assurance by looking within. But the Holy Spirit turns our eyes entirely away from self: He tells us that we are nothing, but that "Christ is all, and is in all" Remember, therefore, it is not your hold of Christ that saves you - it is Christ; it is not your joy in Christ that saves you - it is Christ; it is not even faith in Christ, although that is the instrument - it is Christ's blood and merits; therefore, don't be fixing your eyes so much on your hand with which you are grasping Christ, as on Christ; don't be looking at your hope, but to Jesus, the source of your hope; don't be looking to your faith, but to Jesus, the author and finisher of your faith. We shall never find happiness by looking at our prayers, our doings, or our feelings; it is what Jesus is, not what we are, that gives rest to the soul. If we would at once overcome Satan and have peace with God, it must be by "fixing our eyes on Jesus." Simply keep your eye on Him; let His death, His sufferings, His merits, His glories, His intercession, be fresh upon your mind; when you wake in the morning look to Him; when you lie down at night look to Him. Oh! don't let your hopes or fears come between you and Jesus; follow closely after Him, and He will never fail you.
"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness:
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' Name."


2 comments:

Aimee said...

Oh, thank you for posting!! I am going to be reading every single post!!!

I know God has done so much in your heart....

SO...just let it all out and share it with us!!!

The Ferrill's said...

Keri it is so good to hear from you and the pictures are amazing. I can't wait to hear more...We prayed for you so much, I look forward to hearing how the Lord moved!