Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Problem

"The core problem isn't the fact that we're lukewarm, halfhearted, or stagnant Christians. The crux of it all is why we are this way, and it is because we have an inaccurate view of God. We see Him as a benevolent Being who is satisfied when people manage to fit Him into their lives in some small way. We forget that God never had an identity crisis. He knows that He's great and deserves to be the center of our lives. Jesus came humbly as a servant, but He never begs us to give Him some small part of ourselves. He commands everything from His followers."
- From: Crazy Love by Francis Chan

You will see in the margin of the blog that I'm reading a book called "Crazy Love." This quote was in the preface...ouch. Not even in the "real" chapters. I think this quote is plenty to chew on for today. Another South Africa post coming tomorrow.

Until then, how much of you does He have? Let go of it all. Not only does He command it...He's worth it. That is what I'm learning...to give it all up...trusting that what He will give in return will be so much sweeter than anything I can grasp with my feeble hands. And what I hope to receive is not "things," but more of Him...and what could be better than that?

It's not easy...it's a journey I'm learning to take, slowly but surely...anyone want to come along?

2 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Hey Keri...I just finished that book and have already passed it on..it's one of those that I will read again and again...SO convicting, inspiring, eye-opening, and it makes me question so many things in my life and choices I make...
GOOD STUFF, now to apply it!

Aaron and Erica said...

Okay, I guess I'm going to have to get this book. So many people have been talking about it that I think it's time :)

Thank you for sharing so much from your trip. I have enjoyed reading the stories and I have been challenged...