Thursday, July 23, 2009

2 Years With Our Angel

Today we celebrate our 2-year adoption anniversary with Eden Hope. I can't believe it's been 2 years! I remember every detail like it was yesterday.

I leave for South Africa tomorrow so I don't have lots of time to write, but I couldn't let this day go by without at least posting something. Where do I begin? How do I articulate such a miracle?

I remember walking into that sweltering hot Civil Affairs Office in Wuhan, China with butterflies in my stomach. Would she come to me? How would I know what to do? How do I communicate to this little stranger how much I already love her? So many questions...and yet such certainty. God had moved so many mountains to put us in that room at that moment for that baby girl. It wasn't the labor or delivery room I had imagined in my girlhood dreams of becoming a mommy. And yet there I was...and then, I saw her for the first time.

She looked so lonely...so confused. Nothing prepared me for the deep sadness in that little girl's heart those first days...the grief...the running to the door of the hotel and looking at me pleading for her "mama"...not knowing I was right there...the way she would gather all of her little treasures she brought with her, not knowing I had sent her those toys and blanket, and would rock back and forth with that horrible moaning cry, refusing to be comforted until she was "finished."

And nothing prepared me for the miracle of the day her foster mom came to the hotel and we met her (secretly and by "accident"). I've never been more sure of anything as when I handed my baby back to the only mama she had ever known so they could say goodbye. In that moment there was no room for jealousy or fear...I knew Eden loved her and it just couldn't be about me. And as that precious Chinese woman pointed to me and told Eden, "Mama" those walls began to slowly crumble. Healing began on that day.

I've made a lot of mistakes over the past 2 years...but motherhood is the most incredible journey. Watching this little person grow up knocks the wind out of me sometimes. She is the funniest little creature I have ever met...and the most loving. She is so brave. So brave. To love again so deeply...what lessons I learn from her. Gene and I sit in awe of the greatness of God. Parenthood is like having a front-row seat to His most incredible work. Most times in our busy-ness and routine we miss it...but every once in a while I will stop, and look, and see it...my prayer is that in the coming year, I will see Him more and more...and not take one moment for granted.

Love you all...here's a few photos of our sweet one...


The first photo we received of Eden in December 2006.

Another photo from the orphanage in January 2007.

Another picture from China in July 2007, right before we traveled.

Gotcha Day...July 23, 2007. This photo says it all...

Eden today...this one says it all, too!

3 comments:

Emmy said...

Keri, what a blessing you are to Eden and likewise, her to you! I feel blessed to know you and love checking in on you through your blog, I hope to meet Eden one day, I know you'll make it to a ball game this fall!!! Godspeed on your S. Africa trip and thank you for your heart, it is amazing to see how God has blessed you and Gene!
Love you!
Emmy

The Ferrill's said...

Oh my....happy crying over here!!!!!!!!! SO SWEET!
I remember that same hot, sweltering stairway up to the office...peeking in the doorway, trying to spot our babies...
I was a first time adoptive-mommy, Keri. And boy has the Lord taught me countless lessons over the last two years. You said it perfectly...
"Parenthood is like having a front-row seat to His most incredible work."
Happy Day to all of us Wuhan mommies and children! ;) We will miss you this weekend, but we rejoice at your obedience to the Lord's call! Godspeed, friend! We're praying for you and those you come in contact with!

Buffi Young said...

what a wonderful post! You're such a good writer. I remember all those same things Keri. We just watched the video of it all last night. We actually let Sadie watch the video for the first time. She was very interested in it...but didn't remember anything. Our experience with Sadie was quite different than yours with Eden. But all those emotions and feelings are so similar. I cannot believe it has been two years...WOW! It's amazing the difference two years brings!!! Happy Gotcha Day!!! We will miss you guys this weekend at the Ferrills...but we will be praying that you have a wonderful missions trip!!! Praying for you.
Blessings,
Buffi