Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Beach, A Flower Girl, and a New Home

Sorry it's been a while. I've spent the last week and a half unloading boxes. I have let go of the delusion that I'm not a pack-rat. Don't ask me why I want to keep my high school cheerleading jacket...but I just can't throw it away.

Anyway, I promised pictures, so this post includes some. We have moved to a suburb of Atlanta, as I mentioned in my last post. After a small delay in closing on our house in B'ham, we moved a little over a week ago in 2 U-haul trucks and a mini-van. Eden and Maggie (our chocolate lab) rode with me, along with the flat-screen TV, and Gene and his dad followed with the trucks. This was a hard move, as it was quick, out of state, and we were at the beach at a wedding the week before...but we finally made it.

We love the house we're renting, and even got some goodies delivered from our next-door neighbors today. We're settling in now, and even discovered that one of the families we traveled to China with when we adopted Eden lives here...and I have several sorority sisters from college in the area, too. It's nice to know people.

Eden is doing great. We are painting her room pink (per her request), and we ordered her a "big-girl bed" last week (twin bed). Eden's thought process and awareness of things continually amazes me. When we told her we were moving, she said, "Mommy, I think we need to write notes to all of our friends in Birmingham so they won't worry about us." Wow! The last time she moved, there were no goodbyes or ways to keep in touch. This move, needless to say, has been far less traumatic.

She did great as the flower girl in my brother's wedding. I must admit we did bribe her. It was on the beach, and on the way back down the aisle at the end of the ceremony she stopped and started picking up all of the flower petals to put back in her basket. That got a collective "Awwwww" from the crowd. When we practiced at home she always had to pick them up!

Here are some pictures from the wedding. I will post again soon. Love yall!

All dressed and ready for pictures.

The halo was so precious on her jet-black hair. And she kept it on!!!

See my baby shells?

The beautiful bride...my new sister-in-law Amy. My mom did the flowers on this arch...aren't they gorgeous!

Eden with her 2 great-grandmothers. Can you believe they are in their 80's???

Eden and cousin Camp. He's getting so big...4 1/2 months old.

Trying to be still for pictures.

Oh, one last little story. The day we were moving in, Eden's eye swelled shut...it looked bad and kept getting worse, even with benadryl. So I found a doc-in-the-box place and it was nothing, just an insect bite. Well, a couple of days ago she said, "Mommy, my finger hurts." I look down, and seriously it looked like it might die and fall off. It was so swollen and red. Well, apparently my child has an ant allergy we didn't know about. So yesterday she comes downstairs and says, "Mommy, I dressed myself. I'm going to hunt for ants." When I turned around, this is what I saw....



No comments: