Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Our Week in Birmingham

Hello all! We spent last week in Birmingham visiting friends, going to Eden's dr. appointment, and packing for my South Africa trip. It was a fun week.

Eden went to see a maxio facial prostheticist to see about getting a device to plug the 2 holes she still has behind her 2 front teeth from her cleft. These holes won't be repaired until she has permanent teeth. We had a great visit to the Dental School at UAB and the doctor was great. Eden had to do a mold of her top teeth and she did fantastic...no gagging or fit-pitching. They actually said she did better than most adults. The doctor said she does think she can make a device that will help with speech and with her being able to suck better and not having food escaping through her nose. We will go back in mid-August to try it on and see how it works.

I leave this Friday for a mission trip to South Africa. I will return on August 3rd. Gene has some fun Atlanta activities planned with Eden to help pass the time. She will also be going for a long visit with her Ja-Ja (my mom) from which I'm sure she'll return purely rotten!

I can't wait to share with you what I see and experience in Africa. Until then, here are some pictures of our week in Birmingham. Love you all!

Eden on her new big-girl bike...of course it's princesses.

Eden with her cousins...some of her favorite people on earth. From left: Hayden, Savannah and baby Camp.

My beautiful sister, Kelly, and her little man (who is finally sleeping through the night!!)

My blessing, my daughter. She is such a doll!

Eden with Hannah, my best friend Alisa's little angel.

Here is a sample of one kit that we will be giving out in South Africa. It contains 5 types of medicine, lip ointment, antibiotic ointment, soap, wash cloths, towels, bandages and cotton swabs. These will be given in a wash basin with a Bible in their language.

No comments: