Saturday, July 21, 2007

Bigger Plans

Hey everyone. I finally decided to post. I've had a hard time processing my thoughts and emotions since we've been here. Gene is so good at describing the sites we've seen so far. He definitely has a way with words. As I sit in the same city that my daughter is in, on the 10th floor of a nice hotel, it is one of the strangest feelings in the world. As we rode from the airport to the hotel, I looked at highrise after highrise and kept thinking, Eden's birthmom lives here somewhere...Eden lives here somewhere. Nineteen months of hoping, dreaming, waiting and praying...and we are finally here. When we landed at the airport and came out our guide met us and I had to laugh because he had a t-shirt on that said "E.T. phone home" with the famous shot of Elliot's and E.T.'s fingers touching. Half a world away, and we aren't that different after all, are we?

I have already learned so much this week. What I would like to share with you is a word of thanks to each of you who have invested your lives in ours. We have carried you with us to China. The highlight of my week has definitely been sharing with "L", our guide in Beijing. Your investment in our lives has born fruit this week. As we toured the city, God just kept opening opportunities for us to ask questions. God just kept guiding the conversation to the truth. "L" took us to many temples that the Emperor built to pray to different gods. He told us how they would sacrifice animals once a year to pray for a harvest. He told us of the "lucky" numbers, dragons, zodiacs, Fung Shuae (I have no idea how to spell that), and many other customs in search of blessing, happiness, prosperity and long life. The parallels to the Bible were unbelievable and I was reminded of what it is like to be in search of meaning. Finally I just asked "L" if he believed in any of this. He said he doesn't believe in anything, really. He doesn't want to follow rules and regulations. "Me neither," I said. We had a neat conversation, the fruit of many of you who have poured into my life. Because Jeanie and Brenda have taught me the Old Testament, I had so much to pull from that parallels ancient Chinese ritual. Because several of my sisters at TCABH studied Hebrews with me I was able to explain how Christ was our eternal High Priest, the final sacrifice. Because David just finished a series on sharing our faith in different cultures I was able to understand this culture a little better. And because of all of you who have been praying for us we were able to humbly express God's love and concern for all people with respect and compassion. The most amazing part of the conversation took place today on the way to the airport. Somehow it came up in conversation that Eden had a cleft lip. "L" asked if we wanted to adopt a baby with a cleft lip and we said, "yes." He said, "I don't understand why you would want a baby that had a disability." And there again, God opened a door.

We shared that all people were created by God and equally precious in His sight. He seemed very pleased with our answer. He gave each of us a gift, which humbled us even more. I told him that I wanted him to know that we were very grateful to China for allowing us to adopt Eden and we wanted to raise her to be very proud of her country. Thank you to Billy, Jesse, Daniel, Kayla and Andrea for teaching and modeling for us how to be respectful of people in all cultures and races. Your investment in us has born fruit this week. I wish I could share more but I would write all night. If this is jumbled, please excuse the jibberish.

My mind and heart are so full it is hard to articulate. God has already shown me that He has bigger plans for us this week than just adopting Eden. He is working in and through us, and I want all of you our brothers and sisters to know that He is working though you also. We miss you all so much. Kelly - I can't wait to throw my arms around your neck. Thank you all for your prayers and encouraging comments on our blog. Tomorrow is our last day without our daughter. Please pray for Eden's foster mother. Tomorrow is her last day with our daughter. My heart aches for her sacrifice. I love you all.

Keri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Keri, what can I say. There are a thousand things that are racing through my mind right now and how God has taught you very obviously and was preparing you, possibly your whole life for this very trip. I am so proud to be your friend. With all the ways you allow God to teach you. You are never afraid to ask questions and be a continual student. How I love this about you and can't wait to hear your voice and hug your neck.
I hope I can experice some of the things you and Gene have been able to experience in China. What a great God we serve that he would take you both to the other side of the world to teach you about His love and sacrifice for you. Wow.
I think I am most touched by your knowledge of God's Word and it helps me to see where I am SERIOUSLY lacking. I am so inspired by what God is teaching you and I know there is much, much more so even though you have not been able to write it I want to hear it, hear it all.
Thank you so much for letting me be a part of this journey with you. I know God is setting us up for something REALLY huge. I don't know how to explain it but I am getting that feeling like before the Sunday we mobilized so many to go on international mission. I am excited, so excited about learning from you and entering into a disciple making rationship with you. It's so much deeper than any other relationship except a marital relationship. Praise God for His love.
I could write forever too but I won't. Just know you are being prayed for despirately and you are loved more than you will know.
I am thrilled for you both and know God HAS brought you three together becasue He knew you would bring Him more glory together than apart. I love you and I can't wai tot greet you back home.