Thursday, October 28, 2010

Traditions

Happy Thursday to everyone. Hope it's been a great week for you all. I am still trying to get adjusted to a much earlier and busier day now that I am caring for twin 1-year-olds Monday-Friday. They are sweet little girls and I enjoy the "noise" of their coos and babble filling our home. Eden loves to make them laugh and it's sweet to watch her with them. I can tell she will be a great big sister one day. Eden and I are also enjoying our school time each morning during the twins nap time.

I have to share an Eden funny. Yesterday we were getting ready to leave to go to my morning Bible study I lead and I went to her room to tell her it was time to go. She said, "But mommy, I have to make a phone call." I told her to do it quickly and come on. So I'm loading babies and diaper bags in the car and I hear her chatting on her "cell phone" to her make-believe friend. It's the normal, "Oh hey, how are you? Really? Me, too!" Then I hear her say, "Oh, I had to walk in another room because I didn't have signal in there." I CRACKED UP! She hears me say that all the time because our signal is weak in our house. Don't you love it when your kids make you belly laugh out of the blue? It's one of my favorite parts of being a mom.

On another note, our family gets so busy sometimes we forget to spend time making memories and traditions together. Or, when we do, we don't even think about getting pictures to document. When my friend died unexpectedly last week, it caused me to really think about how I spend my time and where I put my energy. I have been making sure to tell my husband I love him before we go to sleep each night and taking the time to stop and listen to Eden even when I'm busy. Anyway, last night we decided to make fall cookies and decorate them. I grew up decorating homemade sugar cookies for Christmas each year and it's a tradition I want to continue in our home. My homemade sugar cookie dough, however, is always so sticky it takes all the joy out of the experience because it's so irritating trying to cut the cookies out. SO, I used the Betty Crocker bagged mix, rolled it out, and cut them out...it was a lot easier and the cookies are good...not as good as my mom's...but they will do.

Eden wanted to use icing so I went to Publix and asked them if I could buy some of the bakery's butter cream icing. They sold me a container of it for $2.85 and I used icing dye I had to make 5-6 different colors. Daddy joined in for the decorating and we had a great time. We missed bedtime and loaded up on sugar right before bed...but we made a great memory...and I have pictures to prove it. Enjoy!

Eden hard at work

Of course we must lick our fingers during the process...100 times!

Eden's pumpkin

Finished product

Enjoying the "fruits" of our labor

One happy girl

1 comment:

Laine said...

Oh I've missed your posts! So happy you're back, Keri!
It was SO GREAT to see yall at my party! WHAT FUN! Wish we could have had more time to visit!
If you're in the Ham soon, let me know!
Can't wait to see those ornaments!
Eden is a DOLL! That's neat you get to keep the twins! Great practice for big sis!
We love yall!