Friday, October 15, 2010

Long Time, No Post

I'm baaaack! Okay, I know it's been forever. I'm not even sure if anyone reads this anymore...but I'm going to crank it back up anyway. I've missed yall! It has been so long there is no way to completely update what's been going on around here, so I'm going to hit the high points.

Probably the biggest change is that I began home schooling Eden in K-5 in August. It's not something I set out to do when I became a mom, but I just know it's what I want and need to be doing in this season. We will continue to seek the Lord's direction each year and take it one step at a time. She is still 4, but already knew all letters so we went ahead with a kindergarten curriculum. I love what we're using. It's called My Father's World and it's very hands-on. It is a unit approach and it has 26 units (one for each letter of the alphabet). The science, language arts and Bible are all connected. We spent the first 10 days learning about creation. To give an example, our first unit we studied the letter "S" in language arts, studied the sun in science (we made raisins out of grapes and a sun dial to tell time), and learned that Jesus is the light of the world, memorizing John 8:12.

We are both enjoying this time so much. It only takes about 1.5 hours each day, and we take Fridays off. We stuck a 4-ft. table and 2 chairs up in our bonus room (it's also the playroom and guest room) and put a big bulletin board up and we were ready for school! Here is a picture of Eden doing her handwriting work:

I have also just started a job...at home. I am the proud nanny of 11-month-old twin girls, Madison and Ava. They are adorable and such good babies. They are VERY scheduled so that makes it even better. We are able to do school during their morning nap, and then mommy can rest during their afternoon nap. Their mom is a teacher so holidays and summers are free. I am so thankful that the Lord provided this opportunity to earn money and still be at home to care for my family.

We had an unusually busy summer, but were able to take a much-needed vacation to Panama City beach in September. Here's a couple of pictures:


Eden and I were also able to fly to Oklahoma to spend time with our family there at Grand Lake. It was so relaxing and refreshing. The weather was cool and we went on boat rides to see the white penguins migrating to south TX, played games, made smores, and went to the OK State Fair. Eden even learned how to make homemade biscuits from her great-aunt Ginger. Eden also had lots of time with her cousin, Camp.

Lastly, there's nothing to report at the moment on our adoption. However, we are so excited and hopeful about what we see the Lord doing to provide for us financially so we can pursue the child we know He has for us somewhere. We are in a time right now of seeking the Lord about our plans versus His plans. We want to be sure we are in line with His plan for our family. We will be fund raising again over the holidays with Ornaments for Orphans and are hopeful about resuming our home study in January if all goes well.

I cannot wait to show you the ornaments we are making. I hope to have them online for orders by the beginning of November. The ornaments will be $10 (plus shipping) again this year with the proceeds going to our adoption fund. So if you need teacher gifts, secret pal, stocking stuffers, etc., please consider shopping here to give those gifts and help bring a little one home. We are humbled by the way the Lord uses others to accomplish His plan.

That's all the news I have for now. I will leave you with a picture of Eden that pretty much sums up her personality these days...she is hilarious.

My next post won't be so long because I'm not gonna wait 6 months next time...I promise! Comment to let me know you still read! Love yall...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been wondering where you have been! :) Can't wait to see these ornaments.

jhand said...

I am home schooling this year too. So cool to hear about the job that God provided for you. I bet that Eden is a big help in caring for the twins. I would be happy to post your ornament fund raiser on my home school group's yahoo group if you would allow me to do so.

Julie

Carolyn said...

I'm still here! =) I've got you on my Google Reader...

We can't wait to see the new ornaments. We'll be back in the US over Thanksgiving, so hopefully I can get some ordered before then =)

Amanda said...

Girl, I check the blog EVERY single day...just in case! I love hearing about Eden, how the Lord is working in your life, and your everyday adventures! Keep it coming!