Sunday, December 5, 2010

Orphans

I have had this post swimming in my head for a couple of days now and just now have time to sit and write. This past week, Eden and I were watching a cartoon together. I don't remember which show it was, but they were talking about an orphan and explaining what an orphan is..."an orphan is a child with no mommy or daddy" they said.

Eden perked up and turned around and looked at me with wide eyes. Then she said something that literally knocked the breath out of me. "I used to be an orphan!"

I felt nauseated as I processed what she had just said. She used to be an orphan. Obviously, this is not news to me. In fact, I am asked at least weekly about her adoption. Maybe it's the lady in Wal-Mart, or a waitress...people are always curious. In fact just today the cashier in Michael's said, "Is she yours or did you adopt her?" "Both," I answered with a grin (it went over her head). "Was she born with one of those clefts?" she continued. "Yes maam, isn't she beautiful?" I patiently answered. "Is she self-conscious about it?" (Eden is following this conversation). "Not yet," I replied. These conversations are common for all of us moms who have adopted transracially.

So why was I so moved by Eden's statement? I think it's because she said it. I don't think I've heard those words out of her sweet lips before..."I used to be an orphan." It was such a heart-check for me. It's so easy to disconnect the word "orphan" from all that it means. It means a precious child just like my Eden, that could have been my Eden, has no family. No mommy to scoop them up and comfort them, rock them to sleep, sing to them, pray for them, reassure them, encourage them, correct them, kiss boo boos, tickle, tuck in bed, bathe, comb their hair, push on the swing, read a book to, work a puzzle, fight for them, tell them about Jesus. They have no family. They are orphans...and my child used to be.

This is why our family is so committed to adoption and orphan care. We know we cannot eradicate the orphan problem in the world...that is not our job. But we can love. We can sacrifice to adopt as many as the Lord wills. We can open our hearts and home. We can help others to adopt. We can budget, sacrifice, and fund raise, trusting that God will provide for that which He has called us to do.

Eden reminded me of that...she reminded me that she used to be an orphan.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

wow keri. what a blessing to read.