Friday, April 16, 2010

Uganda is a GO!!

Hello all...I bring wonderful adoption news today for literally millions of orphans in Uganda, East Africa...God is making a way, sweet babies. The US Department of State issued an official statement on their website yesterday saying the issues with travel visas for adopted children in Uganda has been resolved. I won't go into all the details, but let's just say this is very, very good news. I am humbled by our Lord's defense of the fatherless...overwhelmed really.

In the light of the awful news about Russian adoptions, the timing of this act of God couldn't be more perfect. I know He will move on behalf of those Russian little ones, too...He doesn't play favorites.

So what does this mean for our family? It means we will continue our home study for Uganda next month, Lord willing. We had some unexpected expenses over the past few months that caused us to slow down, then the paperwork issues arose, so we have just been waiting. The Lord has provided for our every need, and then some. And my husband gently reminded me last night that he is confident God will provide for this adoption, too...we will proceed on His timing.

Please pray for us as we walk this journey. I want to be transparent...and I have been learning some tough lessons over the past weeks about sacrifice and choices. If we are going to adopt, where we are financially, choices will have to be made and some comforts will have to be given up. Because we are choosing not to go into any more debt to adopt, this means cutting back on a lot of little extras (eating out, movies, Starbucks, those little house purchases at Target, etc.). I don't know why this is so hard for me, but it is. I'm not naturally bent towards being thrifty, so the small daily things are hard for me to give up. But there is no room for excuses for us who profess to follow Christ...there are 147 million orphans in the world...30,000 children die daily from hunger and curable diseases. I desire to live on behalf of these. This sounds great to say...but in reality I don't do this most of the time. And I can't do it in and of myself.

I don't know how all of this will look yet. I don't want to hastily make a list and start slashing all of my expenses...because that's just me trying to sanctify myself...and the focus then will be me...and what I'm "giving up." Self-discipline is the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5) and I have a feeling that will be my personal journey in this adoption process. With Eden's adoption, I learned so much about God's love and His character...this time my journey seems to be so different. I know the Lord desires to do a great work in us as we walk this faith road of adoption...and I want to learn...I desire to know Him more...my Spirit is willing but my flesh is weak...but my God is sufficient...and He is such a good Shepherd.

So what's my plan? To simply draw near to the heart of my Maker...and let Him lead me and teach me. Combined with the TOUGH work of actually obeying what He shows me. This is where I am.

My heart is full today...can you tell? I am excited about the journey ahead. Even this early, my heart is beginning to yearn for a child (or children) that the Lord may have created already for our family. I will pray the same prayer I prayed 4 years ago for a then-unknown little angel in China...Lord, give us this child (or children), and do it in such a way that only You get the glory...Amen.

4 comments:

jhand said...

Praise God for this good news! Glad to hear that you all are doing well. We are waiting for CIS approval so we can send our dossier to China. We are also cutting back expenses and planning to home school next year. Looking forward to hearing more about this adoption journey as it unfolds!

Julie Hand

Amanda said...

Woot! Woot!

Mrs. Smith said...

Hi there! My name is Kristine Smith and I stumbled across your blog looking for uganda adoption news! We are currently in the process of adopting from Uganda from Generations Adoptions in Waco, TX who is partnering with Lifeline. We chose Generations since we are in Dallas but they share the same baby home in Kampala. We also did our home study in January. It is exciting to hear that someone else is at the same point in the process. We were very excited to see the US State Dept update their website. We have been praying very hard and hope the Russia situation resolves quickly as well. Hope your process goes well. God Bless!

The Runyans said...

i'm trying to find other bloggers who are going through generations and the uganda program!!!! we are too!!!!

would love to connect. . .with you on here!!!
my blog is:
jessicaleighblog.blogspot.com
our orientation phone call is on tuesday, but our first home visit is monday! i'm nervous and so excited!!! nice to "meet" you!!!