Friday, May 8, 2009

South Africa Mission Effort

Hey everyone! Just wanted to post really quickly about my upcoming mission effort to South Africa. I am going July 24-August 3rd to provide hospice care to end-stage AIDS patients in the villages outside of Pretoria. I am co-leading a team of 20 from The Church at Brook Hills.

I am both excited and nervous about this trip. It is going to challenge me in a whole new way, as I have no training in the "medical" arena or the "hospice" arena (we will receive some training prior to going). But what I do have is a willing spirit and compassionate heart and a longing to share hope with those who likely have none. I long to be Christ to the "least of these." God's Word says whatever I do for the poor, needy and sick, I do for Christ Himself. What an honor to serve my Lord this way.

Please be in prayer for our team. The financial responsibility is $2,700 for this trip and I am trying to raise money to help offset the cost. I have sent out support letters to many and God is providing. I totally trust Him as money is no object to Him. I did want to ask you to pray about helping out. Every dollar makes a difference. Our goal is to pack our personal items in our carry-on so we can fill the 2 50-pound suitcases for each team member with supplies like hygiene items, wash cloths, towels, and medical supplies to ease their pain. If we do this, we will be taking around 2,000 pounds of supplies (give or take).

If you would like to contribute financially, you can post to this message and leave me your e-mail and I will get in touch with you. Contributions are tax-deductible if you make your check out to The Church at Brook Hills. Thank you for considering helping those suffering in Africa from the AIDS pandemic. They so desperately need our help. The deadline for turning in my money is May 25th so I don't have much time left.

My goal on this trip is just to love. To love those, both in word and deed, who are outcasts, shamed and hopeless. To let them know that my Redeemer lives. To let them know that they are loved by their Creator. To let them know it is impossible to out-sin God's grace. To let them know that they don't have to fear death. To let them know the wonderful truth of the Gospel. Pray for these precious people.

On another note, please pray for my daughter, Eden. This will be a huge test for us as I've never been away from her for more than 2 nights since we adopted her. I know God wouldn't be leading me to go on this trip if she wasn't ready for the separation. It's a whole different ballgame to leave the country for 10 days when you're a mommy. I know that by obeying Christ I AM doing what's best for my family. But that's gonna be hard to remember when I'm waving goodbye. I tear up just thinking about it. I just don't want her to be scared that I'm not coming back...the thought of that just kills me. Thank you for lifting her up!

Love you all!

1 comment:

The Ferrill's said...

I will be praying! I know what you mean about leaving Eden...it is a test of faith! You are being obedient to the call, and the Lord will bless that. What an example you are giving her of obedience and serving the least of these!